Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My New Year's Resolution

Are you ready for it? I realize I'm early, but that's just me. I've always been early for things. I arrive twenty minutes early to all medical appointments. I get my children to school at least ten minutes before the bell rings. I step into the movie theater fifteen minutes before showtime. I'm the early bird. Hold the worm.

I'm going through some things right now that brought about a harsh realization.

I'm a people pleaser.

That's a nice way of saying that I have, in the past, allowed myself to be used as a doormat.

My resolution for 2011 (twenny-eleven, I call it, not two thousand eleven) is to no longer be a people pleaser.

What does that mean, exactly?

It means that I will make plans as I see fit. I will do things that I want to do. I will accommodate only what I feel inclined to accommodate. I'll cook what I want to cook, and I won't feel guilty when I order Chinese instead. I'll blog when I want to blog, and write what I want to write.

And I won't let anyone -- ANYONE-- tell me what to do, how to do it, or why I'm doing it wrong.

And if they don't like that? I'll be happy to show them the door.

What's your resolution? Are you starting early, like me?

1 comment:

  1. Good resolution. I've yet to give any thought to mine. It will probably have to do with finances or food.

    ReplyDelete