Monday, December 13, 2010

Simple Pleasures

The dishwasher is humming away. The dogs are resting at my side. My oldest daughter is resting on the couch (tonsillitis!). And what I was thinking about writing here on my blog is a list of random gripes. I do have several right now. But then I got to thinking.

Maybe I'll write a list of gripes, but for each one, I'll also write a simple pleasure, in an effort to -- I don't know...cancel out the gripes.

Then I thought some more.

(dangerous, that!)

Maybe I'll just talk about simple pleasures.

At Christmastime, do you find that people are generally more stressed out? I know that's the case everywhere *I* go! People are angry! People are pushy! And people are under tremendous stress.

Sometimes, I wonder why we do that to ourselves at a time of year (anytime, really, but a time of year that) we're supposed to be kind and gentle and loving and giving and selfless.

To stay in that happy place, I bring you my list of simple pleasures.

{one}

Sneaking up behind Tuna (my youngest daughter) in her lunchroom at school and kissing her sweet head.

{two}

Knowing that my girls are going to love their Christmas presents.

{three}

Knowing that we didn't go into debt to make Christmas special.

{four}

Going shopping in my closet -- because I lost a pants size during the holiday season!

{five}

The tiny flurries that floated through the air for about five minutes here in Georgia last night.

{six}

The woman in the pharmacy waiting room who sat beside me smelled like fireplace. (would it have been bad manners to lean in and sniff her clothes? probably)

{seven}

Feeling giddy about my gift recipients opening their presents. Knowing I chose wisely.

{eight}

Belting out such classics as Feliz Navidad, Christmas Wrapping, and All I Want for Christmas while driving down the road.

{nine}

Family game nights with family and friends.

{ten}

The way hot chocolate warms your throat and tummy instantly. Plus, it's delicious.


Christmastime can be stressful. Please stay sane. There's no need to be in a race...no need to have the latest and greatest everything. Johnnie's every whim need not be met on this one day a year.

Be present. Be still. Be.

No comments:

Post a Comment