I have lost over 27 pounds since mid-September, following the Weight Watchers plan. I eat candy bars and brownies and Olive Garden dinners and movie theater snacks. In short, I eat like a normal person. No meal replacement shakes. No bars. No pills.
I was thinking of what has been working for me, and I realized that I had a mental gimmick. Only, it's not a gimmick at all.
It's just that five things that are most important to weight loss for me all start with the letter F. So I call them the Five F's of Weight Loss.
(and, no, "eff it all" isn't one of them)
Here they are...
The Five Fs of Weight Loss
- Filling Breakfast. Protein and fiber in the morning keep me full until lunch and keep me from needing a snack. My favorite breakfast is a cup of Greek vanilla low fat yogurt mixed with a sliced banana and a half-cup of granola. If I eat that, I'm full until noon. And I eat breakfast at 6 a.m.
- Fruit. Fruit is FREE on Weight Watchers! All fresh fruits have a Points Plus value of ZERO! So, I reach for a fruit instead of a snack with a higher Points Plus value. It sounds so easy but it really makes all the difference. When I'm starving before cooking dinner, I eat some grapes -- without measuring them, just eat them until satisfied. The fruit fills me up and lets me get through cooking dinner without sampling my ingredients.
- Fiber. Always reach for whole grain. Also, I eat broccoli every single day. I love broccoli, so that's easy for me. Lots of veggies and whole wheat, whole oats, oh, and fruits are full of fiber, too! Fiber fills me up. I hate being very hungry, so I'm all about the fiber.
- Fluid. Keeping hydrated helps me feel better, look better, and lose weight. Fluid helps me flush my body. It makes my skin pretty. It helps keep me fuller. Anything works: milk, water, Crystal Light, diet soda...it really doesn't matter! Just drink to your health!
- Forgiveness. This is the most important one of all. I had to learn to forgive myself for slip-ups and mistakes. If I decided to go off the plan and eat too much, I had to be able to forgive myself, dust myself off, and get back on the right track. Otherwise, guilt would eat me up and I would quit. Forgive your mistakes. We all make them. Just keep trying. The only way to fail is to stop trying.